LightintheWoods

October 15, 2008

Reflections on Dean Shareski’s Class & Continued Mentorship

Filed under: ECMP,mentorship,presentation,reflection,shareski @ 11:24 pm and tagged ,

My former instructor and current mentor, Dean Shareski, asked Darin, Nicole and myself to spare a few moments in order to speak to his under-graduate Educational Technology class this past October 1st.  This was great chance for me to look back, to reflect and to re-discover all that I had learned during Dean’s course and how he has influenced my development as an educator.  It was a neat experience to share via elluminate as a guest rather than participant or assistant.

Dean is one of my many mentors that have modeled these major learnings. I have learned how to use social web tools to connect and collaborate with strangers and new friends around the world; access knowledge and information I never knew existed; share resources, thoughts and opinions; discuss pedagogy, book reviews, teaching practices; build a personal learning environment; feel confident playing with new media creation; and think about my future classroom in a way that is more social, more active, more engaging, more empowering and more meaningful. I have learned to be a better learner.

With all of this said, here is Dean’s podcast recording from the class.

Podcast42…student voices

Not only was Dean’s class influential, but I am fortunate to live in the same town as Dean. This has lead to extended personal learning through a number of invitations to sidekick him on classroom adventures to observe and work with students in Prairie South Schools and to sit in on training sessions he offers to his teachers. Together we had a post-conference run down and reflection on ride home from the TLt Summit in Saskatoon last spring. He just is there when I have a tech/ed related question. Because of all of what he means to my own learning, and all leadership he offers so many educators, I was more than happy to sit in and visit his class for the evening.

1 Comment »

1.   Ashley — October 18, 2008 @ 10:41 pm    

Hey,
    Yea you’re right about what you said. People shouldn’t give out imformation to millions of people they don’t know.

It’s funny because I tend to get alot of comments just on the motto’s or sayings I say.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Walls of the University Weaken | LightintheWoods

RSS feed for comments on this post.TrackBack URI